Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Curse of the New Laptop

My first laptop was a gift from my Dad. He purchased it and presented it to me, fait accompli. I had no say about the brand or the specs but hey, it worked and it was a gift, so who was I to look a gift horse in the mouth. I learned to love my faithful 14" Compac. We had good times and bad times together.
When C finally outlived its usefulness, I decided to upgrade. I choose C's replacement; and this I did with CARE. The new laptop was pricier than initially budgeted for but I loved it. I simply adored it. C had instilled in me a love for small, portable laptops and all things Helwett Packard, so my new laptop was an 14" HP envy, special edition. A wonderful machine with excellent specs and features for its time.
When I got that new "HP envy" about four years ago, I walked around with an unbelievable high. So, when less than a month after I got it, some idiot with Robin Hood tendencies climbed through my window in my Hostel and deprived me of my new baby I was understandably devastated. I sat on the floor of my pal Nelson's room that morning and bawled my eyes out. I had a little breakdown that morning and I don't think I ever recovered from that loss.
 My dad gifted me with another laptop to replace baby, a Sony VAIO, a huge monstrosity of a machine, that performed admirably and survived a lot of disasters but that I never particularly bonded with. When the VAIO, after fighting the good fight for over three years, finally gave up the ghost (with a little help from ECG, but that's a whole new blog post) I selected my next laptop based on my preferences, and obtained yet another HP envy and this baby was fully loaded. It was love at first sight.
Now considering my prior experience with midnight bandits and HP envys I was understandably apprehensive about my new purchase; but seriously what are the odds? I mean lightning doesn't strike twice in the same spot, right? RIGHT? Wrong... to an extent.
Another generous soul attempted to deprive me of my newly acquired possession via a window at night. Luckily my Envy survived the larceny attempt and the aspiring felon had to make do with my Blackberry and beloved digital camera.
Now don't get me wrong I'm grateful my laptop wasn't stolen but I can't help feeling like HP envy and me are a bad combination. I miss my Phone dearly, particularly as I'm no position to buy a new one any time soon (excuse me, I just bought a laptop? money does not grow on trees you know) and don't get me started on the information I lost with the Phone and Camera (Yes, I know I should have backed up My Info, I meant to, just wasn't expecting to lose the dratted phone, so sue me).  I guess the curse still remains though it may have changed in form.

No comments:

Post a Comment